Saturday, April 30, 2011

Last Day of School

As per Miss Honey tradition, the last day of school is a Friday and we never do school. Over the last 6 years that I have been teaching we have done several different things for the last day of school ranging from picnicking on the Missouri River to having a Gilligan's Island party.


This year the kids decided to add to the festivities by starting with a "funny clothes" appearance to opening exercises. They were very creative.


They also made a cake, with 6 candles for the 6 school years I have been Miss Honey. I was very surprised! Please note Rosie's costume. It was supposed to just be all inside out and backwards, oh and with 'boxer' shorts...


Becca as Pippi Longstocking, and Leah as her gorgeous self. :) Pippi was a clever choice for Becca since she did several school assignments surrounding the book this year.


GI Timo. Yes, he came to opening exercises just like this. In this case it pays to be homeschooled and not have to go through the metal detectors.


I took the kids to Wilderness Park, a small nature sanctuary about 20 minutes away. In spite of being so close,most of them had never been hiking there. We all had a grand time.


We did our best to avoid the poison ivy which is rather rampant there.


Leah as the human bridge. When I did this the ground was so soft I was pretty sure it was going to change from the human bridge to the splits any second.


This picture is a combination of the odd effect that warm wind has on me and the dedication and faithful following of my students.


There was an awesome drop-off at this point and I told the kids that when you are hiking and you get to a great view like that, you are supposed to take a picture of yourself showing how awesome feel for having gotten up so high. They did.

And so the 6th year of being Miss Honey draws to an energetic close. I never would have dreamed 6 years ago of this day, but I would not trade it for the world. Thank you for 6 awesome years, kids! You all are the best students a teacher could hope for. I love you most!!

2 comments: