Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Sunday at 14th and Cass

It all started as a hunt for the mother of all donut shops. We have been trying to find the perfect donut shop for months now, and have gotten rather acquainted with the tastes (and hours) of many shops around Omaha. Last Sunday we found one with delectable pastries, yet somewhat lacking in seating for which to eat them. The weather beckoned us to the outdoors anyway, so we went around the corner to where I saw some grass sticking up between the parking garages.


Right there in the middle of parking garage central we found a lovely little park.



It had trees and soft grass, perfect for those of us who are inspired to take naps after eating donuts. For those of us on whom sugar has the opposite effect, there was plenty of room to run and explore. The park also is home to a large collection of statues representing Nebraska's pioneer past.




I do mean large in every sense of the word. This was the teacher with her students on their way to school. The kids promptly named her "Miss Honey".


I love this picture. Every time I look at it I laugh. I am sorry, but enough time spent around cows tells me exactly what the position of this one's tail means and John just hanging there....



Rosie and John decided to try their milking skills. I don't think they got anything.



This statue was carrying a baby and the kids said it reminded them so much of Sarah and Caroline, they wanted their picture taken with them.



I was very impressed with the size of the horses. Here Benjamin is being a pal and posing for me to demonstrate just how big they really were.



The statues were all "frozen in time", including this one where the wagon was stuck in the mud. The kids were glad to lend a helping hand.



John had to go to the bathroom, so I took him on a quest to find one. We went all the way to the other side of this building where we met a man that looked like the twin of Billy Ray Cyrus who informed us that while he had keys to the building (which was locked) he could not let us in or he would get in trouble. But, he helpfully directed us to a nearby Starbucks where we could use the restroom. He neglected to mention (or perhaps did not know) that the restrooms were reserved for paying customers only and could only be opened with a key kept behind the counter. I did not have my wallet with me and I thought all was lost until a kind 'paying patron' showed me the key and let me use it anyway. Little kindnesses can mean so much!



Back at the park... I am sorry to have given them any ideas, Herk!


I know this is not from 14th and Cass, but... We went back to the park with the gazebo and geese to eat our lunch. John tried very hard to make friends with the geese with limited success. I think they became more of fans, because as soon as he ran out of bread they all turned tail and swam across the pond. Here's to another awesome Sunday afternoon!

3 comments:

  1. Okay, the picture of John and the cow made me bust up laughing even before I read your comment about it!! ROFL!!!

    I loved the text you sent me about the bathrooms so much that I read it out loud to the girls in my car on my way home on Sunday. They looked at me like I had three heads while I choked on giggles. Oh well... I guess you have to be a nut to know. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did the statues have plaques or anything telling what they were of? I'm thinking that the school teacher leading the kids is for that one gal who led her class to a house through the blizzard of whatever year that was...
    Hillary - You mean it takes one to know one?! :D
    ♥ U both!
    PS Awesome post Emily, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was fun to go and meet all the statues with Timo! @ Sarah when I saw the statue of the lady with the baby I thought of you and Caroline And missed y'all so much! :( Love you!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete